Friday, March 4, 2011

Water Polo, Philippines

So as few of you know, since moving to Guam, I have had the chance to revisit my love for water polo. I was lucky enough to meet the right people to get me a chance to practice with the Guam national team. Once practicing with them it was clear that I was quite rusty, but they saw that I had a passion for the sport and potential to do well so they invited me back to another practice. Between practices I began swimming laps on my own to try and get back into swimming shape. I now attend practices regularly Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday, running drills, getting back into how things used to be back when I played in high school. I swim almost every  other day that I do not have practice, trying to get into water polo shape, but boy is it tougher than I remember.

Just recently there has been a lot of talk among the players about an annual tournament they attend that takes place in the Philippines against teams throughout Asia. Never would I have thought that they would invite me to the tournament, but sure enough after practice a few weeks ago, they sent the invitation to come! We will be playing against other national teams such as Japan, Malaysia, Thailand and the Philippines. Just yesterday I got all my flight confirmations for the trip, and so now I begin preparing and training even harder than before. I fly out to Manila (Philippines) for the tournament April 7th  through the 11th. I cannot wait to write about my experiences there.

Back in high school I never thought I would ever take water polo beyond the states, or even beyond college, but it is amazing how things work out. I am so glad I took that original invitation to watch the Guam national team play and practice with them. All of the guys are so nice and supportive and  it is cool to see how we all share the same love for the sport.

I look forward to sharing my water polo experiences with you in the near future!

Love and miss you

1 comment:

  1. Bobby! I am so proud of you, I love all the stories. Keep marking your map, pretty soon you will have traveled the world!

    ReplyDelete