Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Shark's Cove, Karaoke & Secret Santa

Yet another week has flown by here in Guam and I cannot believe Christmas is just three days away! Even though the week flew by, it was still jam packed full of fun and adventure. I'll start off by telling you about my trek to Shark's Cove: So on my day off this week, a few friends and I decided to check out this spot that we had heard of from a few locals. There were a few different names of the place that different people had called it. We first heard Shark's Hole, then Shark's den, and finally Shark's Cove, (which is the one I'm going with). All in all we knew this place involved sharks for some reason and we wanted to check it out. So upon arriving to the trail head we were told that we were just supposed to hike about a mile north once we had reached the beach and "you'll just know when you get there" (just kind of how things are here). So we started our expedition north bound over jagged, water corroded rocks, through vines and plants towering above us like skyscrapers, and of course strolled down white sandy beaches. We saw some pretty incredible sights along the way, like this single tree that held hundreds and hundreds of butterflys as if it was some sort of nest. They were everywhere! Deep black in color with vibrant purple markings. We also saw a dear that had either drowned or died of disease. It was such a tragic scene amongst such amazing encompassing beauty. Circle of life I suppose.
The hike only took about thirty minutes or so when we arrived upon our destination, and boy did we know it. This beach was completely secluded, with striking, natural scenic views as far as the eye could reach. And I could see how this gorgeous spot had so many names. It was in a breathtaking cove, and in the cove was what looked like a turquoise hole where sharks may have a den.. if sharks had dens that is.. SO, we spent the entire afternoon snorkeling, eating coconuts, and just taking in all the beauty that was around us. We didn't end up seeing any sharks (probably for the best) but we did see some pretty impressive looking fish. When we finally decided to pull ourselves away from this paradise, we were lucky enough to catch an electrifying sunset that painted the sky all sorts of beautiful colors. It is always so hard to leave these unique spots, but I know that if I wanted to, I could go back again. Which I for sure will.
So this week we had the company Christmas party, which was definitely a lot of fun. I have never been to a Christmas party for work before, so it was interesting to see some of my co-workers out of the work setting and letting loose a bit. One of our local lounges hosted us, serving drinks and what not, but the best part was the food dishes that the local employees brought. My mouth was in heaven! It was different takes on some foods I have had before, but with a Chamorro twist on it, and also foods that I have never even heard of that were to die for. Long story short, they had to roll me home because of the amount of delicious food I had had. Another great part of the night was the Secret Santa gift exchange that went on. You all know how Secret Santa gift exchanges work, so it was fun to do it with people that I work with. I ended up getting an Axe Body Wash kit. I'm not sure if it's because I smell bad, or if it's just a cool guy gift, but either way I am getting good use out of it. All in all it was a great night to see the people I see everyday but in a setting where they could be themselves and cut loose.
So about 11 employees and I decide that we wanted to sing our hearts out at one of the many karaoke bars here. Karaoke bars here are like Starbuck's back home; they are on every street corner and overcharge. So anyways, we go in and grab a room and start singing till the sun came up.. actually just till 2 when the guy behind the bar told us to go. I'm sure he was tired of our crazy singing and shenanigans that we were doing all night. I share this because part of why I love this place is because of nights like this, where someone says hey lets do this or that, and almost always people are down to do it whether it is a bonfire, going to a bar, or a fun night singing karaoke. The people here are great, and I really am making some lifelong friends.
Well I wish I could wish all of you a very Merry Christmas in person. It's going to be different working all day on the one day that I have had off my entire life. It's all part of the job though, the job that get's better and better with each passing day.

Love and miss you,









No comments:

Post a Comment